Something Sparkly That Way Goes

| |

Minutes after logging onto Facebook recently to procrastinate/"check" my profile (anything to prolong my writer's block, really), I find out that yet another college pal is engaged. Before you write me off and label me jealous, let me just assure you that I am completely denial-less of that fact. Of course I'm jealous! She's got the security of having her future all tied up in pretty package wrapped in white tulle and lace. And she's got three-months of her boyfriend's salary on her pretty little finger while mine remains stark naked with no hope of covering up any time soon. When everyone around you seems to be getting engaged or married, it's hard to feel good about introducing people to your "boyfriend." I'm stuck in relationship purgatory without a paddle.

While I admit that yes, I would love it to be me this time, typically I am also happy for someone when they get engaged. Yet, I can’t help but think about how she and her SITM started dating after my boyfriend and I did. About a month after to be precise. I can't help feeling a little bad about myself. Aren’t I fiancĂ©-worthy? Aren’t I marriage material too? As Meg Ryan says in "When Harry Met Sally": "What's the matter with me?"

0 comments: